With no snow in sight, it seems that cycling season may be starting early this year in Cleveland Park. I already noticed a lot of people out and about this weekend. Here’s a few of my favorite trails (and a couple new routes I want to try). All can begin in Cleveland Park.
1. Rock Creek Park Trail South (Start on Porter Street; out-and-back paved trail takes you to Georgetown)
2. Rock Creek Park Trail North (Start on Tilden Street; out-and-back street trail takes you to the Maryland line)
3. Rock Creek Park Trail to Capital Crescent Trail (Start on Porter Street; 20 mile loop)
4. Cruise the Mall (Start on Rock Creek Trail headed south, follow the solid red line on this map to see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial, and Tidal Basin)
5. Circle the Capitol (Start on Rock Creek Trail headed south, follow the blue trail on this map down Pennsylvania Ave. to the circle trail around the Capitol)
No bike? No problem. You can rent bikes at Connecticut Ave. & Newark St. NW. If you’re new to cycling, Washington Area Bicyclist Association has some fantastic resources on bike laws, bike safety, and bike commuting.