Category Archives: Woodley Park
It looks like it will be a lovely weekend in the neighborhood, and with more Red Line single tracking scheduled, it will be a great time to explore the neighborhood on foot. So grab a cup of coffee, take a morning stroll, and check out one of these neighborhood parks or walking paths:
1. Woodley Playground – This smallpark, found at Devonshire Pl. and Cortland Pl. (and seen above), contains nice, wooded trails.
2. Tregaron – Located on the Washington International School campus, visit the “trails, meadow and woodlands” at this estate.
4. Rock Creek Park – We would be remiss if we didn’t mention the lovely Rock Creek Park walking trails right in our back yard. Here’s a trail map, if you’re looking to check out a new part of the park.
5. Melvin Hazen Park Trail – You may have walked by this trail, located on the east side of Connecticut Ave. between Segwick and Rodman, dozens of times without noticing it. Quickly escape the busyness of Connecticut Ave. by walking this trail down to Rock Creek Park.
With blue skies and temperatures in the 70s predicted, this weekend looks like it will provide a couple gorgeous afternoons for a good date night. We suggest a stroll down to Woodley Park to take in some afternoon art, followed by an evening cocktail, sipped in on of the neighborhood’s outdoor cafes.
The Stamford Art Gallery in Woodley has historically featured great small exhibits, so we were excited to see a new opening at the gallery this month. The exhibit, Artists of Woodley Park, will run until July 15 and features works from a collection of both professional and amateur local artists and contains jewelry, pottery, photography, glasswork, charcoal drawings, prints, and paintings. The gallery is open until 7 pm on weeknights and 6 pm on weekends.
After perusing the gallery, you only need to walk down Connecticut to find several outdoor cafes, many with afternoon specials. We’ve noticed that the summertime crowd has already hit the patio of the perennial favorite, Medaterra, known for their cheap frozen drinks. The bar’s happy hour specials run from 4 pm to close on weekends. We would also recommend District Kitchen, which we hear has some great creative cocktails, or (our favorite) the gin and tonic tasting at The Gin Joint.
With DC Yoga Week beginning on Sunday, yoga deals are abundant this week! Here’s 5 we’re exited about in (or near) the neighborhood:
1. Unity Woods Yoga – The Woodley Park studio is offering two free classes on Friday, May 18, and daily classes for $5.
2. City Fitness Gym – This Cleveland Park gym features free yoga in May.
3. Bikram Yoga Dupont - It’s worth the short walk down Connecticut to check out this hot yoga studio who’s offering $5 classes all week.
4. Circle Yoga DC – Walk up Connecticut to visit this studio, offering yoga for adults and kids as well as mindfulness bases sessions for $5.
5. Cleveland Park Library – Always a Cleveland Parker favorite, the library continues its free yoga on Tuesday nights!
With summertime and warm weather growing near, we’ve gotten really excited about outdoor patio season at our favorite neighborhood restaurants. Here’s to hoping the rain stays away this weekend, so that we can all get a head start on enjoying a nice outdoor burger and brew. This week’s Friday Five includes 4 patios we love (and one new patio we can’t wait to try):
2. Medium Rare – Medium Rare has a large patio that’s not in the middle of the sidewalk, unlike so many Cleveland Park eateries.
3. Siam House – The patio is small and a always a little packed (like the restaurant), but we love Siam House patio for a quick, inexpensive, tasty dinner or lunch.
4. St. Arnold’s – Who needs a patio when your whole restaurant becomes outdoor space?
5. District Kitchen – So we haven’t had a chance to check out District Kitchen’s new patio yet, since the restaurant just opened this winter, but we like what we see. Large patio in a great location for watching Woodley Park happenings and families trekking to the zoo. We hear good things about their sustainable wines and signature cocktails–can’t wait to try one outdoors this summer!
Any great patios we’re missing? Where are you excited to dine al fresco this summer?