As part of a new weekly post, we’ll be highlighting five things we love in the neighborhood. The first installment? Five red wines we’ve been loving lately. We love these wines because they make for a great dinner or night out and don’t break the bank.
1. Ardeo+Bardeo‘s Touriga Nacional, Cedro do Noval, Portugal 2006 ($35 bottle, we’re not sure if it’s available by the glass anymore) – It’s Portuguese, it’s something different, we love it.
2. Ripple‘s Cabarnet Franc, Domaine de la Butte “Le Pied de la Butte”, France 2009 ($11 glass, $33 b0ttle) – Complex and earthy for a cab franc.
3. Medium Rare‘s Fitou, Bertrand Berge, France 2009 ($9 glass, $34 bottle) – They call it complex; we call it delicious.
4. Ripple‘s Garancha Tintorera, Quitieria “Higueruela”, Spain 2009 ($6 glass, $21 bottle) – The best bottle of red wine we’ve found for $21 at a DC restaurant.
5. Calvert Woodley‘s Dow Douro, Vale do Bomfim, Portugal 2009 ($12 bottle) – Found while perusing Calvert Woodley’s eclectic selection; great rich fruity wine pairs well with cheese, crackers, and a casual night at home.
Cheers to the weekend!